Sunday, March 22, 2015

Review: Hero by Samantha Young

Title: Hero
Author: Samantha Young
My rating: 5 of 5 Stars
SUMMARY (from Goodreads)
Alexa Holland’s father was her hero—until her shocking discovery that she and her mother weren't his only family. Ever since, Alexa has worked to turn her life in a different direction and forge her own identity outside of his terrible secrets. But when she meets a man who’s as damaged by her father’s mistakes as she is, Alexa must help him.

Caine Carraway wants nothing to do with Alexa’s efforts at redemption, but it’s not so easy to push her away. Determined to make her hate him, he brings her to the edge of her patience and waits for her to walk away. But his actions only draw them together and, despite the odds, they begin an intense and explosive affair.

Only Caine knows he can never be the white knight that Alexa has always longed for. And when they're on the precipice of danger, he finds he’ll do anything to protect either one of them from being hurt again…
MY THOUGHTS

I’ve seen a lot of positive comments and reviews about Samantha Young’s On Dublin Street series. But there are five books with the sixth on its way in this series, so I’ve got a little intimidated, because for me a series is always more commitment than a standalone. So when I heard about the release of Samantha Young’s standalone I was quick to pick it up. I didn’t expect that I would like Hero so much.

This book was so addictive that I stayed until the wee hours in the morning reading it. And I don’t regret it though I was really sleep-deprived the next day. I don’t remember when the last time I was so immersed in a book was.

I think Hero worked for me so well because of the romance. It was so intense and overwhelming. Samantha Young did such a great job with the build-up and anticipation. There was so much sexual tension between main characters and the author kept it rising by their every interaction. So when they finally give in to their feelings it was like an explosion and sex scenes were scorching hot.

I guess I should admit that I like angst. And there is a lot of angst in Hero. But even if you don’t usually like angsty books don’t let this stay on your way to this one. Samantha Young knows her job. Several of my GR friends opposed to angst liked Hero.

Aside from steamy and swoon-worthy moments there is a lot of good stuff in Hero. The characers are well-written. I especially have a soft spot for Alexa. She is very likeable. And Caine… What can I say? Swoon…

There is also a great cast of second characters. My favorites are Caine’s best friend Henry and Caine’s neighbor Effie, though she is more of a grandmother to him.

I also liked banters and dialogues between Alexa and Caine.

My only complaint is the epilogue. I like HEA, but it was so sappy, I think this book would be better without it.

So I really loved this book. If you like angsty, passionate and steamy romance with funny banters and well-developed characters, look no more. Hero by Samantha Young is perfect for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment